cabochon(redirected from Cabochon Cut)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted gem.
2. A convex style of cutting gems.
In a highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted style: a sapphire that was cut cabochon.
[French, from Old North French, augmentative of caboche, head; see cabbage.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
cabochon(ˈkæbəˌʃɒn; French kabɔʃɔ̃)
(Jewellery) a smooth domed gem, polished but unfaceted
[C16: from Old French, from Old Norman French caboche head; see cabbage1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cab•o•chon(ˈkæb əˌʃɒn, -ˌʃɔ̃)
1. a gemstone, usu. round or oval, cut so as to have a domed surface that is polished but not faceted.
2. the style of cutting a stone so.adv.
3. in the form of a cabochon: a turquoise cut cabochon.adj.
4. cut in the form of a cabochon.
[1570–80; < Middle French, derivative of caboche head]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cabochon - a highly polished gem that is cut convexly but without facets|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.