nopal(redirected from Cactus pad)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to Cactus pad: Nopales
n. pl. no·pal·es (-pä′lĕs) also no·pals (-pəlz)
1. Any of various cacti having edible stems, especially the prickly pears.
2. The fleshy, oval, edible pad of such a cactus.
[American Spanish, from Nahuatl nohpalli.]
1. (Plants) any of various cactuses of the genus Nopalea, esp the red-flowered N. cochinellifera, which is a host plant of the cochineal insect
2. (Plants) a cactus, Opuntia lindheimeri, having yellow flowers and purple fruits. See also prickly pear
[C18: from Spanish, from Nahuatl nopálli cactus]
no•pal(ˈnoʊ pəl, noʊˈpɑl, -ˈpæl)
1. any of several cacti of the genus Nopalea, resembling the prickly pear.
2. the fruit of such a cactus.
[1720–30; < Mexican Spanish < Nahuatl nohpalli]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nopal - cactus having yellow flowers and purple fruits|
|2.||nopal - any of several cacti of the genus Nopalea resembling prickly pears|
cactus - any succulent plant of the family Cactaceae native chiefly to arid regions of the New World and usually having spines