calico(redirected from Calicoe)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. cal·i·coes or cal·i·cos
a. A tightly woven cotton cloth having a repeating, often floral design.
b. Chiefly British A plain white cotton cloth, heavier than muslin.
2. An animal, such as a cat, having a coat of white fur with distinct patches of different colors, usually reddish-orange and black.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -coes or -cos
1. (Textiles) a white or unbleached cotton fabric with no printed design
2. (Textiles) chiefly US a coarse printed cotton fabric
3. (Textiles) (modifier) made of calico
[C16: based on Calicut, town in India]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -coes, -cos,
1. a plain-woven cotton cloth printed with a figured pattern, usu. on one side.
2. Brit. plain white cotton cloth.
3. an animal having a spotted or particolored coat.adj.
4. made of calico.
5. mottled or variegated in color.
6. (of a domestic cat) having a variegated white, black, red, and cream coat.
[1495–1505; short for Calico cloth]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||calico - coarse cloth with a bright print|
|Adj.||1.||calico - made of calico or resembling calico in being patterned; "calico dresses"; "a calico cat"|
|2.||calico - having sections or patches colored differently and usually brightly; "a jester dressed in motley"; "the painted desert"; "a particolored dress"; "a piebald horse"; "pied daisies"|
multicolor, multi-color, multicolored, multi-colored, multicolour, multi-colour, multicoloured, multi-coloured, particolored, particoloured, piebald, pied, varicolored, varicoloured, motley, painted
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
B. ADJ [jacket, shirt etc] → de percal
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Kattun m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995