ambrosia(redirected from California (ambrosia))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Greek & Roman Mythology The food of the gods, thought to confer immortality.
2. Something with an especially delicious flavor or fragrance.
3. A dessert of mixed fruits, usually including oranges and pineapple, combined with flaked coconut and often marshmallows.
[Latin, from Greek ambrosiā, from ambrotos, immortal, immortalizing; see mer- in Indo-European roots.]
am·bro′sial (ăm-brō′zhəl, -zhē-əl) adj.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) classical myth the food of the gods, said to bestow immortality. Compare nectar2
2. anything particularly delightful to taste or smell
3. (Zoology) another name for beebread
4. (Plants) any of various herbaceous plants constituting the genus Ambrosia, mostly native to America but widely naturalized: family Asteraceae (composites). The genus includes the ragweeds
[C16: via Latin from Greek: immortality, from ambrotos, from a-1 + brotos mortal]
amˈbrosial, amˈbrosian adj
1. the food of the ancient Greek and Roman gods, ensuring their immortality.
2. something especially delicious to taste or smell.
3. a dessert of oranges, shredded coconut, and often pineapple.
[1545–55; < Latin < Greek: immortality, food of the gods, n. use of feminine of ambrósios=a- a-6 + -mbrosios, comb. form of brotōs mortal]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ambrosia - a mixture of nectar and pollen prepared by worker bees and fed to larvae|
composition - a mixture of ingredients
|2.||ambrosia - any of numerous chiefly North American weedy plants constituting the genus Ambrosia that produce highly allergenic pollen responsible for much hay fever and asthma|
genus Ambrosia - comprising the ragweeds; in some classification considered the type genus of a separate family Ambrosiaceae
Ambrosia artemisiifolia, common ragweed - annual weed with finely divided foliage and spikes of green flowers; common in North America; introduced elsewhere accidentally
Ambrosia trifida, great ragweed - a coarse annual with some leaves deeply and palmately three-cleft or five-cleft
Ambrosia psilostachya, perennial ragweed, western ragweed - coarse perennial ragweed with creeping roots of dry barren lands of southwestern United States and Mexico
weed - any plant that crowds out cultivated plants
|3.||ambrosia - fruit dessert made of oranges and bananas with shredded coconut|
|4.||ambrosia - (classical mythology) the food and drink of the gods; mortals who ate it became immortal|
classical mythology - the system of mythology of the Greeks and Romans together; much of Roman mythology (especially the gods) was borrowed from the Greeks