Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of east-central England north-northeast of London. It is the site of the University of Cambridge, established in the 1200s.
2. A city of eastern Massachusetts on the Charles River opposite Boston. Settled in 1630 as New Towne, it is known for its research and educational facilities, including Harvard University (founded in 1636), Radcliffe College (founded 1879, now part of Harvard), and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1861).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a city in E England, administrative centre of Cambridgeshire, on the River Cam: centred around the university, founded in the 12th century: electronics, biotechnology. Pop: 117 717 (2001). Medieval Latin name: Cantabrigia
2. (Placename) short for Cambridgeshire
3. (Placename) a city in the US, in E Massachusetts: educational centre, with Harvard University (1636) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Pop: 101 587 (2003 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a city in Cambridgeshire, in E England: famous university founded in 12th century. 113,800.
2. a city in E Massachusetts, near Boston. 90,290.
4. a city in SE Ontario, in S Canada. 79,920.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cambridge - a university in England|
Cambridge - a city in eastern England on the River Cam; site of Cambridge University
|2.||Cambridge - a city in Massachusetts just to the north of Boston; site of Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|3.||Cambridge - a city in eastern England on the River Cam; site of Cambridge University|
England - a division of the United Kingdom
Cantabrigian - a resident of Cambridge
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Cambridge nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007