camp follower(redirected from Camp-follower)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A civilian who follows a military unit from place to place, especially as a vendor of supplies or as a prostitute.
2. One who follows but does not belong to a main body or group.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Military) any civilian, esp a prostitute, who unofficially provides services to military personnel
2. a nonmember who is sympathetic to a particular group, theory, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a civilian who follows or settles near an army camp, esp. a prostitute.
2. a person who espouses the aims of a group without belonging to it.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||camp follower - a prostitute who provides service to military personnel|
|2.||camp follower - a follower who is not a member of an ingroup|
follower - a person who accepts the leadership of another
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
camp followern (fig) → simpatizzante m/f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995