Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of southeast Mexico on the Bay of Campeche, a section of the Gulf of Mexico west of Yucatán. Founded in 1540, Campeche was frequently sacked by buccaneers in the 1600s.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a state of SE Mexico, on the SW of the Yucatán peninsula: forestry and fishing. Capital: Campeche. Pop: 205 000 (2005 est). Area: 56 114 sq km (21 666 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a port in SE Mexico, capital of Campeche state. Pop: 195 000 (2000 est)
3. (Placename) Bay of Campeche Gulf of Campeche the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a state in SE Mexico, on the peninsula of Yucatán. 642,516; 19,672 sq. mi. (50,950 sq. km).
2. the capital of this state. 151,805.
3. Gulf of, the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Campeche - a Mexican city on the Bay of Campeche|
Campeche - a Mexican state on the eastern part of the Gulf of Campeche
|2.||Campeche - a Mexican state on the eastern part of the Gulf of Campeche|
Campeche - a Mexican city on the Bay of Campeche
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.