Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A member of a group of Semitic peoples inhabiting Canaan from late prehistoric times, including the Israelites and Phoenicians.
2. In the Bible, a member of any of the Canaanite peoples other than the Israelites.
a. A subbranch of the Semitic language family including Phoenician, Hebrew, Ammonite, Moabite, and Edomite.
b. Any of the Semitic languages spoken by the Canaanites.
Of or relating to ancient Canaan or its people, language, or culture.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Bible) a member of an ancient Semitic people who occupied the land of Canaan before the Israelite conquest
2. (Languages) the extinct language of this people, belonging to the Canaanitic branch of the Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
3. (Historical Terms) the extinct language of this people, belonging to the Canaanitic branch of the Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
4. (Bible) (in later books of the Old Testament) a merchant or trader (Job 40:30; Proverbs 31:24)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a member of any of the western Semitic peoples inhabiting Canaan at the time of its occupation by the Israelites.
2. the language or languages of these peoples, ancestral to Hebrew, Phoenician, and Moabite.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Canaan, the Canaanites, or their speech.
[1350–1400; « Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Canaanite - a member of an ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before it was conquered by the Israelites|
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
|2.||Canaanite - the extinct language of the Semitic people who occupied Canaan before the Israelite conquest|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Canaanite[ˈkeɪnənaɪt] N → canaanita mf
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Kanaaniter(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007