Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of Guangzhou (formerly Canton).
2. The variety of Chinese spoken in and around Guangzhou.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) the Chinese language spoken in the city of Canton, Guangdong and Guanxi provinces, Hong Kong, and elsewhere outside China
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the city of Canton or Guangdong province
3. (Placename) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
5. (Languages) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Can•ton•ese(ˌkæn tnˈiz, -ˈis)
n., pl. -ese,
1. a dialect of Chinese spoken in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Macao.
2. a native or inhabitant of Guangzhou.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Guangzhou, its inhabitants, or their dialect.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cantonese - the dialect of Chinese spoken in Canton and neighboring provinces and in Hong Kong and elsewhere outside China|
Chinese - any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → cantonais(e)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
adj → kantonesisch
→ Kantonese m, → Kantonesin f
(Ling) → Kantonesisch nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007