warranty(redirected from Car warranty)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. war·ran·ties
1. A representation, especially in writing, made by a seller or company to a purchaser of a product or service that a refund, repair, or replacement will be made if the product or service proves defective or unsatisfactory, especially within a given time period.
a. An assurance by the seller of property that the goods or property are as represented or will be as promised.
b. The insured's guarantee that the facts are as stated in reference to an insurance risk or that specified conditions will be fulfilled to keep the contract effective.
c. A covenant by which the seller of land binds himself or herself and his or her heirs to defend the security of the estate conveyed.
d. A judicial writ; a warrant.
3. Justification or valid grounds for an act or a course of action: "That he has imitated at all ... is sufficient warranty for placing him among the men of talent rather than among the men of genius" (Edgar Allan Poe).
tr.v. war·ran·tied, war·ran·ty·ing, war·ran·ties
To provide a warranty for.
n, pl -ties
1. (Law) property law a covenant, express or implied, by which the vendor of real property vouches for the security of the title conveyed
2. (Law) contract law an express or implied term in a contract, such as an undertaking that goods contracted to be sold shall meet specified requirements as to quality, etc: an extended warranty.
3. (Law) insurance law an undertaking by the party insured that the facts given regarding the risk are as stated
4. the act of warranting
[C14: from Anglo-French warantie, from warantir to warrant, variant of Old French guarantir; see warrant]
war•ran•ty(n. ˈwɔr ən ti, ˈwɒr-; v. ˌwɔr ənˈti, ˌwɒr-)
n., pl. -ties, n.
1. a written guarantee given to the purchaser of a new appliance, automobile, or other item by the manufacturer or dealer, usu. specifying that the manufacturer will make any repairs or replace defective parts free of charge for a stated period of time.
2. an act or instance of warranting; warrant.
a. written or implied assurance that specific aspects of a contract, sale, etc., will be as represented.
b. a covenant in a deed guaranteeing clear and unencumbered title to property.
c. (in the law of insurance) a statement or promise made by the party insured and included as an essential part of the contract, falsity or nonfulfillment of which renders the policy void.
d. a judicial document, as a warrant or writ.
4. to provide a manufacturer's or dealer's warranty for.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||warranty - a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specifications|
deposit - a payment given as a guarantee that an obligation will be met
stock warrant - a written certificate that gives the holder the right to purchase shares of a stock for a specified price within a specified period of time
giấy bảo hành
warranty[ˈwɒrəntɪ] N (Comm) → garantía f
warranty→ كَفالَة záruka garanti Garantie γραπτή εγγύηση garantía takuu garantie jamstvo garanzia 保証 품질 보증 garantie garanti gwarancja garantia гарантия garanti การรับประกัน garanti giấy bảo hành 担保