carbonize(redirected from Carbonising)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Carbonising: carbonize
tr.v. car·bon·ized, car·bon·iz·ing, car·bon·iz·es
1. To reduce or convert a carbon-containing substance to carbon, as by partial burning.
2. To coat or combine with carbon.
vbAlso (for senses 2, 3): carburize
1. (Chemistry) to turn or be turned into carbon as a result of heating, fossilization, chemical treatment, etc
2. (Chemistry) (tr) to enrich or coat (a substance) with carbon
3. (Chemistry) (intr) to react or unite with carbon
ˌcarboniˈzation, ˌcarboniˈsation n
ˈcarbonˌizer, ˈcarbonˌiser n
v. -ized, -iz•ing. v.t.
1. to char (organic matter) until it forms carbon.
2. to coat or enrich with carbon.v.i.
3. to become carbonized.
Past participle: carbonized
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||carbonize - unite with carbon; "carburize metal"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
|2.||carbonize - turn into carbon, as by burning; "carbonize coal"|