carnation(redirected from Carnation (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Carnation (disambiguation): Dianthus caryophyllus
a. Any of numerous cultivated forms of a perennial plant (Dianthus caryophyllus) having showy, variously colored, usually double, often fragrant flowers with fringed petals.
b. A flower of this plant. Also called clove pink.
2. A pinkish tint once used in painting.
1. (Plants) Also called: clove pink a Eurasian caryophyllaceous plant, Dianthus caryophyllus, cultivated in many varieties for its white, pink, or red flowers, which have a fragrant scent of cloves
2. (Plants) the flower of this plant
a. a pink or reddish-pink colour
b. (as adjective): a carnation dress.
4. (Art Terms) (often plural) a flesh tint in painting
[C16: from French: flesh colour, from Late Latin carnātiō fleshiness, from Latin carō flesh]
1. any of numerous cultivated varieties of the clove pink, Dianthus caryophyllus, having long-stalked fragrant usu. double flowers in many colors.
2. pink; light red.
3. Obs. the color of flesh.
[1525–35; < Late Latin carnātiō corpulence < Latin carn- flesh]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carnation - Eurasian plant with pink to purple-red spice-scented usually double flowers; widely cultivated in many varieties and many colors|
|2.||carnation - a pink or reddish-pink color|
pink - a light shade of red
|Adj.||1.||carnation - pink or pinkish|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
cây cẩm chướng
carnation[kɑːˈneɪʃən] N → clavel m
carnation[kɑːrˈneɪʃən] n → œillet m
n → Nelke f