Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to the philosophy or methods of Descartes.
[French cartésien (from René Descartes) and New Latin Cartesiānus (from Cartesius, Latin form of Descartes).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Philosophy) of or relating to the works of René Descartes
2. (Mathematics) of, relating to, or used in Descartes' mathematical system: Cartesian coordinates.
3. (Philosophy) of, relating to, or derived from Descartes' philosophy, esp his contentions that personal identity consists in the continued existence of a unique mind and that the mind and body are connected causally. See also dualism2
(Philosophy) a follower of the teachings and methods of Descartes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. pertaining to Descartes, his mathematical methods, or his philosophy.n.
2. a follower of Cartesian thought.
[1650–60; < New Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cartesian - a follower of Cartesian thought|
follower - a person who accepts the leadership of another
|Adj.||1.||Cartesian - of or relating to Rene Descartes or his works; "Cartesian linguistics"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → cartesiano
B. N → cartesiano/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → kartesianisch, kartesisch
n → Kartesianer(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → cartesiano/a
2. n → seguace m/f di Cartesio
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995