caste(redirected from Cast system)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a class of society; a social status or system: a caste society
Not to be confused with:
cast – a group of actors: the cast for the play was chosen; mold or pattern; a tinge; to throw forcefully: cast the first stone
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Any of the hereditary, endogamous social classes or subclasses of traditional Hindu society, stratified according to Hindu ritual purity, especially the Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaisya, and Sudra castes.
2. A social class separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank, profession, or wealth.
a. A social system or the principle of grading society based on castes.
b. The social position or status conferred by a system based on castes: lose caste by doing work beneath one's station.
4. A specialized level in a colony of social insects, such as ants, in which the members, such as workers or soldiers, carry out a specific function.
[Spanish casta, race, and Portuguese casta, race, caste, both from feminine of casto, pure, from Latin castus; see kes- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. any of the four major hereditary classes, namely the Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, and Sudra into which Hindu society is divided. See also Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, Sudra
b. Also called: caste system the system or basis of such classes
c. the social position or rank conferred by this system
2. (Sociology) any social class or system based on such distinctions as heredity, rank, wealth, profession, etc
3. (Sociology) the position conferred by such a system
4. (Zoology) entomol any of various types of specialized individual, such as the worker, in social insects (hive bees, ants, etc)
[C16: from Portuguese casta race, breed, ancestry, from casto pure, chaste, from Latin castus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of the hereditary social divisions of traditional Hindu society, as the Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, and Shudra.
2. an endogamous social group limited to persons of the same hereditary rank, occupation, economic position, etc., and having distinctive mores.
3. any rigid system of social distinctions.
4. social position conferred upon one by a caste system: to lose caste.
5. one of the distinct forms among polymorphous social insects, performing a specialized function in the colony, as a queen, worker, or soldier.
[1545–55; < Portuguese casta race, breed < Latin castus pure, chaste]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A system of class differentiation based on Hindu scriptures.
2. A rigid class system based on common acceptance of a religious principle. For example, the ancient Indian caste system. Castes were defined in the Hindu religion. Membership of caste depends on birth, and movement between castes is only possible in some instances through marriage.
3. Any of several social classes into which a society may be divided, usually according to wealth, profession, or hereditary rank.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||caste - social status or position conferred by a system based on class; "lose caste by doing work beneath one's station"|
|2.||caste - (Hinduism) a hereditary social class among Hindus; stratified according to ritual purity|
Hindooism, Hinduism - a body of religious and philosophical beliefs and cultural practices native to India and based on a caste system; it is characterized by a belief in reincarnation, by a belief in a supreme being of many forms and natures, by the view that opposing theories are aspects of one eternal truth, and by a desire for liberation from earthly evils
social class, socio-economic class, stratum, class - people having the same social, economic, or educational status; "the working class"; "an emerging professional class"
jati - (Hinduism) a Hindu caste or distinctive social group of which there are thousands throughout India; a special characteristic is often the exclusive occupation of its male members (such as barber or potter)
|3.||caste - a social class separated from others by distinctions of hereditary rank or profession or wealth|
|4.||caste - in some social insects (such as ants) a physically distinct individual or group of individuals specialized to perform certain functions in the colony|
animal group - a group of animals
colony - a group of organisms of the same type living or growing together
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun class, order, race, station, rank, status, stratum, social order, lineage Most of these people are from the socially-disadvantaged lower castes.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
طَبَقَةٌ خاصَّةٌ عِنْدَ الهِنْدوس
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
caste[ˈkɑːst] n → caste f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Kaste f; to lose caste → an Rang verlieren, absteigen; he lost caste with his friends → er verlor in den Augen seiner Freunde or bei seinen Freunden an Ansehen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a social class especially in India. the lowest caste; (also adjective) the caste system. kaste, stand طَبَقَةٌ خاصَّةٌ عِنْدَ الهِنْدوس каста casta kasta, kastovní die Kaste kaste; kaste- κάσταcasta kast هر یک از طبقات اجتماعی هندوهاکه منفصل از دیگر طبقات هستند؛ کست kasti caste כָּת מַעֲמָדִית בְּהוֹדוּ जाति, वर्ण, गोत्र kasta kaszt kasta (erfða)stétt casta カースト制度 (신분제도) 카스트 kasta kasta; kastas- kasta kastekaste kasta په هندستان كى ارثى مذهبى فرقه: هغه نظام چه خلك پكښى دثروت نسب او اجتماعى موقف په اساس وېشل شوى وى casta castă каста kasta; kastový kasta kasta kast ชนชั้นหรือกลุ่มในสังคม kast, toplumsal sınıf (印度的)種姓制度 каста; кастовий ذات đẳng cấp （印度的）社会等级，种姓（按照血统、阶级、财富等严格区分的社会制度）
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.