Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Cat·a·lan(kăt′l-ăn′, -ən, kăt′l-ăn′)
Of or relating to Catalonia or its people, language, or culture.
a. A native or inhabitant of Catalonia.
b. A person of Catalan ancestry.
2. The Romance language spoken especially in Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, Andorra, and the Roussillon region of France.
[Middle English Catalane, possibly from Catalan catalana, from Catalunya, Catalonia.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a language of Catalonia, quite closely related to Spanish and Provençal, belonging to the Romance group of the Indo-European family
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Catalonia
3. (Placename) denoting, relating to, or characteristic of Catalonia, its inhabitants, or their language
4. (Peoples) denoting, relating to, or characteristic of Catalonia, its inhabitants, or their language
5. (Languages) denoting, relating to, or characteristic of Catalonia, its inhabitants, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Cat•a•lan(ˈkæt lˌæn, -ən, ˌkæt lˈæn)
1. a native or inhabitant of Catalonia.
2. a Romance language of Catalonia, Valencia, the Balearic Islands, and Roussillon in SE France.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Catalonia, its inhabitants, or the language Catalan.
[1375–1425; < Sp]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Catalan - a native or inhabitant of Catalonia|
Spaniard - a native or inhabitant of Spain
|2.||Catalan - the Romance language spoken in Catalonia in eastern Spain (related to Spanish and Occitan)|
|Adj.||1.||Catalan - relating to or denoting or characteristic of Catalonia or its inhabitants; "Catalan independence movement"|
|2.||Catalan - relating to or characteristic of the Catalan language; "Catalan poetry"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
1. adj → catalano/a
2. n (person) → catalano/a; (language) → catalano
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995