ranch(redirected from Cattle ranching)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An extensive farm, especially in the western United States, on which large herds of cattle, sheep, or horses are raised.
2. A large farm on which a particular crop or kind of animal is raised: a mink ranch.
3. The building on a ranch occupied by its operator; a ranch house.
4. A one-story house, usually having a low-pitched roof; a ranch house.
intr.v. ranched, ranch·ing, ranch·es
To manage or work on a ranch.
[American Spanish rancho, small farm, from Spanish, hut, group of people who eat together, from Old Spanish rancharse, to be billeted, from Old French se ranger, to be arranged, from renc, reng, row, line, of Germanic origin; see sker- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Agriculture) a large tract of land, esp one in North America, together with the necessary personnel, buildings, and equipment, for rearing livestock, esp cattle
a. any large farm for the rearing of a particular kind of livestock or crop: a mink ranch.
b. the buildings, land, etc, connected with it
3. (Agriculture) (intr) to manage or run a ranch
4. (Agriculture) (tr) to raise (animals) on or as if on a ranch
[C19: from Mexican Spanish rancho small farm; see rancho]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an establishment maintained for raising livestock under range conditions.
2. a farm or ranchlike enterprise that raises a single crop or animal: a fruit ranch; a mink ranch.
3. the persons working or living on a ranch.
5. to own, manage, or work on a ranch.
[1800–10, Amer.; < Sp rancho rancho]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- biscuit shooter - A waitress at a lunch counter or a cook on a ranch.
- dude, dude ranch - A dude is a city-dweller, especially one vacationing on a ranch—hence, dude ranch.
- ranch dressing - A creamy buttermilk-based dressing with garlic and other spices and herbs, developed at Hidden Valley Ranch in Santa Barbara in the 1950s.
- ranch - From Spanish rancho, "group of persons eating together."
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: ranched
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ranch - farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)|
farm - workplace consisting of farm buildings and cultivated land as a unit; "it takes several people to work the farm"
|Verb||1.||ranch - manage or run a ranch; "Her husband is ranching in Arizona"|
farm - be a farmer; work as a farmer; "My son is farming in California"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
مَزْرَعَه، مَرْبى ماشِيَه
hayvan üretme çiftliği
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
ranch[ˈrɑːntʃ] n → ranch m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Ranch f, → Viehfarm f; ranch hand → Farmhelfer(in) m(f); ranch house (on ranch) → Farmhaus nt; ranch(-style) house (US) → Bungalow m
vi → Viehwirtschaft treiben
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
ranch[rɑːntʃ] n → ranch m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a farm, especially one in North America for rearing cattle or horses. plaas مَزْرَعَه، مَرْبى ماشِيَه ранчо fazenda ranč die Ranch ranch ράντσοrancho karjafarm مزرعه دامداری karjatila ranchחווה पशु-फार्म ranč, velika stočna farma farm peternakan búgarður ranch, fattoria 放場 농장 ranča rančo ladang fokkerijkvegfarm, ranch rancho ورشو، بانډه، څړ ځاى، هغه ځاى ياكښت چه په هغه كى داسانو، ميږو اونورو مالو ساتنه كيږى fazenda ranch, fermă ранчо ranč ranč ranč ranch, farm ฟาร์มปศุสัตว์ hayvan üretme çiftliği (尤指北美的)牧場 ранчо مویشی خانہ nông trại （北美的）大牧场
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.