luminance(redirected from Cd/m2)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. The condition or quality of being luminous.
2. Physics The intensity of light per unit area of its source. Also called photometric brightness.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a state or quality of radiating or reflecting light
2. (General Physics) a measure (in candelas per square metre) of the brightness of a point on a surface that is radiating or reflecting light. It is the luminous intensity in a given direction of a small element of surface area divided by the orthogonal projection of this area onto a plane at right angles to the direction. Symbol: L
[C19: from Latin lūmen light]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
lu•mi•nance(ˈlu mə nəns)
1. the state or quality of being luminous.
2. the quality or condition of radiating or reflecting light: the blinding luminance of the sun.
3. the quantitative measure of brightness of a light source or an illuminated surface, equal to luminous flux per unit solid angle emitted per unit projected area of the source or surface.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||luminance - the quality of being luminous; emitting or reflecting light; "its luminosity is measured relative to that of our sun"|
physical property - any property used to characterize matter and energy and their interactions
incandescence - light from heat
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.