Chaldean(redirected from Chaldois)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Chal·de·analso Chal·dae·an (kăl-dē′ən) or Chal·dee (kăl′dē′)
1. Of or relating to Chaldea or its people, language, or culture.
2. Of or relating to an Eastern Catholic church historically centered in northern Iraq and neighboring regions.
1. A member of an ancient Semitic people who ruled in Babylonia.
2. An adherent of the Chaldean church.
3. See Aramaic.
4. A person versed in occult learning.
Chal·da′ic (-dā′ĭk) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of an ancient Semitic people who controlled S Babylonia from the late 8th to the late 7th century bc
2. (Languages) the dialect of Babylonian spoken by this people
3. (Peoples) of or relating to the ancient Chaldeans or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to the ancient Chaldeans or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a Semitic people of Chaldea who seized Babylon from the Assyrians in the 7th century b.c., giving rise to the Neo-Babylonian or Chaldean dynasty (625–539 b.c.).
2. an astrologer or soothsayer. Dan. 1:4; 2:2.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Chaldea, the Chaldeans, or the Babylonian state ruled by Chaldeans.
[1575–85; < Latin Chaldae(us) (< Greek Chaldaîos Chaldaea, an astrologer)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chaldean - a wise man skilled in occult learning|
occultist - a believer in occultism; someone versed in the occult arts
|2.||Chaldean - an inhabitant of ancient Chaldea|
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
|Adj.||1.||Chaldean - of or relating to ancient Chaldea or its people or language or culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.