chamomile(redirected from Chamomile flower)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
cham·o·mileor cam·o·mile (kăm′ə-mīl′, -mēl′)
1. An aromatic perennial herb (Chamaemelum nobile) in the composite family, native to Europe and the Mediterranean region, having feathery foliage and flower heads with white rays and yellow centers.
2. A similar, related Eurasian annual plant (Matricaria recutita).
3. The dried flower heads of either one of these plants, used to make an herbal tea and yielding an oil used in commercial flavorings and perfumery.
[Middle English camomille, from Old French, from Late Latin chamomilla, alteration of Latin chamaemēlon, from Greek khamaimēlon : khamai, on the ground; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots + mēlon, apple.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Plants) a variant spelling of camomile
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or cam•o•mile(ˈkæm əˌmaɪl, -ˌmil)
1. a composite plant, Chamaemelium nobile (or Anthemis nobilis), native to the Old World, having strongly scented foliage and white ray flowers with yellow centers used medicinally and as a tea.
2. any of several allied plants of the genera Matricaria and Tripleurospermum.
[1350–1400; Middle English camomille < Middle French, Old French camomille or Medieval Latin camomilla, for Latin chamaemēlon < Greek chamaímēlon=chamaí on the ground + mêlon apple]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chamomile - Eurasian plant with apple-scented foliage and white-rayed flowers and feathery leaves used medicinally; in some classification systems placed in genus Anthemis|
camomile tea - tea-like drink made from camomile leaves and flowers
Chamaemelum, genus Chamaemelum - small genus of plants sometimes included in genus Anthemis: chamomile
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. manzanilla, té, sedante gastrointestinal.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
chamomilen (bot) manzanilla
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.