charcoal(redirected from Charcoal burning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A black, porous, carbonaceous material, 85 to 98 percent carbon, produced by the destructive distillation of wood and used as a fuel, filter, and adsorbent.
a. A drawing pencil or crayon made from this material.
b. A drawing executed with such a pencil or crayon.
3. A dark grayish brown to black or dark purplish gray.
tr.v. char·coaled, char·coal·ing, char·coals
1. To draw, write, or blacken with a black, carbonaceous material.
2. To charbroil.
[Middle English charcol : char (perhaps from Old French charbon, from Latin carbō; see carbon) + col, charcoal, coal; see coal.]
1. (Elements & Compounds) a black amorphous form of carbon made by heating wood or other organic matter in the absence of air: used as a fuel, in smelting metal ores, in explosives, and as an absorbent. See activated carbon
2. (Art Terms) a stick or pencil of this for drawing
3. (Art Terms) a drawing done in charcoal
4. (Colours) short for charcoal grey
(Art Terms) (tr) to write, draw, or blacken with charcoal
[C14: from char (origin obscure) + coal]
1. the carbonaceous material obtained by heating an organic substance, as wood, in the absence of air.
2. a drawing pencil of charcoal.
3. a drawing made with charcoal.v.t.
4. to draw or blacken with charcoal.
5. to cook over a charcoal fire, esp. on a grill.
[1300–50; Middle English charcole]
A black porous form of carbon produced by heating wood or bone in little or no air. Charcoal is used as a fuel, for drawing, and in air and water filters.
Past participle: charcoaled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||charcoal - a carbonaceous material obtained by heating wood or other organic matter in the absence of air|
atomic number 6, carbon, C - an abundant nonmetallic tetravalent element occurring in three allotropic forms: amorphous carbon and graphite and diamond; occurs in all organic compounds
fuel - a substance that can be consumed to produce energy; "more fuel is needed during the winter months"; "they developed alternative fuels for aircraft"
|2.||charcoal - a stick of black carbon material used for drawing|
writing implement - an implement that is used to write
|3.||charcoal - a very dark grey color|
|4.||charcoal - a drawing made with a stick of black carbon material|
drawing - a representation of forms or objects on a surface by means of lines; "drawings of abstract forms"; "he did complicated pen-and-ink drawings like medieval miniatures"
|Verb||1.||charcoal - draw, trace, or represent with charcoal|
artistic creation, artistic production, art - the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully"
draw - represent by making a drawing of, as with a pencil, chalk, etc. on a surface; "She drew an elephant"; "Draw me a horse"
|Adj.||1.||charcoal - of a very dark grey|
فَحْمٌ نَباتيفَحْمٌ نَبَاتِيّ
n (= person) → Köhler m, → Kohlenbrenner m (rare); (= stove) → Holzkohlenofen m
n → Kohlezeichnung f
charcoal grey, (US) charcoal gray
n → Schwarzgrau nt
charcoal-grey, (US) charcoal-gray
adj → schwarzgrau
the black part of partly burned wood etc, used as fuel and for drawing. houtskool فَحْمٌ نَباتي дървени въглища carvão dřevěné uhlí, uhel die Holzkohle, der Kohlestift trækul κάρβουνοcarbón, carbón vegetal süsi زغال چوب hiili charbon de bois, fusainפחם लकड़ी का कोयला drveni ugljen faszén arang viðarkol; teiknikol carbone, carbonella 炭 숯 medžio anglis kokogle arang houtskoolkullwęgiel drzewny دلرګو سكاره carvão cărbune de lemn древесный уголь drevené uhlie oglje drveni ugalj träkol ถ่าน odun kömürü 木炭 деревне вугілля; рашкуль لکڑی کا کوئلہ than củi 木炭
charcoal→ فَحْمٌ نَبَاتِيّ dřevěné uhlí trækul Holzkohle κάρβουνο carbón puuhiili charbon ugljen carbone 木炭 숯 houtskool trekull węgiel drzewny carvão древесный уголь träkol ถ่าน odun kömürü than củi 木炭
n. carbón vegetal.