surveying(redirected from Chartered surveyors)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
The measurement of dimensional relationships, as of horizontal distances, elevations, directions, and angles, on the earth's surface especially for use in locating property boundaries, construction layout, and mapmaking.
1. (Surveying) the study or practice of measuring altitudes, angles, and distances on the land surface so that they can be accurately plotted on a map
2. (Surveying) the setting out on the ground of the positions of proposed construction or engineering works
1. the science or scientific method of making surveys of land.
2. the occupation of one who makes land surveys.
3. the act of one who surveys.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||surveying - the practice of measuring angles and distances on the ground so that they can be accurately plotted on a map; "he studied surveying at college"|
triangulation - a method of surveying; the area is divided into triangles and the length of one side and its angles with the other two are measured, then the lengths of the other sides can be calculated