cheating(redirected from Cheating (gambling))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats
1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.
2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.
3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.
4. To elude; escape: cheat death.
1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.
3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
4. Sports To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.
1. An act of cheating; a fraud or swindle.
2. One who cheats; a swindler.
3. A technique that exploits a flaw or hidden feature in a video game or computer program.
4. Law Fraudulent acquisition of another's property.
5. Botany Any of several species of brome, especially Bromus secalinus, an annual European grass widespread as a weed.
[Middle English cheten, to confiscate, short for acheten, variant of escheten, from eschete, escheat; see escheat.]
1. an instance of rule-breaking
2. chiefly US infidelity
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cheating - a deception for profit to yourself |
gerrymander - an act of gerrymandering (dividing a voting area so as to give your own party an unfair advantage)
|Adj.||1.||cheating - not faithful to a spouse or lover; "adulterous husbands and wives"; "a two-timing boyfriend"|
unfaithful - having sexual relations with someone other than your husband or wife, or your boyfriend or girlfriend; "her husband was unfaithful"
|2.||cheating - violating accepted standards or rules; "a dirty fighter"; "used foul means to gain power"; "a nasty unsporting serve"; "fined for unsportsmanlike behavior"|