Cherokee(redirected from Cherokee Freedman)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Cherokee or Cher·o·kees
1. A member of a Native American people formerly inhabiting the southern Appalachian Mountains from the western Carolinas and eastern Tennessee to northern Georgia, with present-day populations in northeast Oklahoma and western North Carolina. The Cherokee were removed to Indian Territory in the 1830s after conflict with American settlers over rights to traditional lands.
2. The Iroquoian language of the Cherokee.
[From Cherokee tsalaki.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -kees or -kee
1. (Peoples) a member of a Native American people formerly living in and around the Appalachian Mountains, now chiefly in Oklahoma; one of the Iroquois peoples
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Iroquoian family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -kees, (esp. collectively) -kee.
1. a member of an American Indian people residing orig. in the W Carolinas and E Tennessee: surviving groups live in Oklahoma and North Carolina.
2. the Iroquoian language of the Cherokee.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cherokee - the Iroquoian language spoken by the Cherokee|
|2.||Cherokee - a member of an Iroquoian people formerly living in the Appalachian Mountains but now chiefly in Oklahoma|
Iroquois - any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York State; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Tscherokese m, → Tscherokesin f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007