mung bean(redirected from Cherupayar)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An Asian plant (Vigna radiata) in the pea family, widely cultivated for its edible seeds and pods. It is the chief source of bean sprouts.
2. A seed or pod of this plant.
[Hindi mūṁg, from Sanskrit mudgaḥ.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an E Asian bean plant, Phaseolus aureus, grown for forage and as the source of bean sprouts used in oriental cookery
2. (Cookery) the seed of this plant
[C20 mung, changed from mungo, from Tamil mūngu, ultimately from Sanskrit mudga]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a plant, Vigna radiata, of the legume family, cultivated for its edible seeds, pods, and young sprouts.
2. the seed or pod of this plant.
[1905–10; earlier moong < Hindi mūg, variant of mūg; compare Pali, Prakrit mugga, Skt mudga]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mung bean - erect bushy annual widely cultivated in warm regions of India and Indonesia and United States for forage and especially its edible seeds; chief source of bean sprouts used in Chinese cookery; sometimes placed in genus Phaseolus|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.