chicory(redirected from Chickory)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. chic·o·ries
1. A perennial herb (Cichorium intybus) of the composite family, native to Europe and widely naturalized in North America, usually having blue flowers. Also called succory.
2. Any of various forms of this plant cultivated for their edible leaves, such as radicchio.
3. The dried, roasted, ground roots of this plant, used as an adulterant of or substitute for coffee.
[Middle English cicoree (from Old French cichoree) and French chicorée, both from Latin cichorium, cichorēum, from Greek kikhoreia, pl. diminutive of kikhorā.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) Also called: succory a blue-flowered plant, Cichorium intybus, cultivated for its leaves, which are used in salads, and for its roots: family Asteraceae (composites)
2. (Cookery) the root of this plant, roasted, dried, and used as a coffee substitute
[C15: from Old French chicorée, from Latin cichorium, from Greek kikhōrion]
chic•o•ry(ˈtʃɪk ə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. a composite plant, Cichorium intybus, having blue flowers and toothed oblong leaves, cultivated as a salad plant and for its root. Compare endive (def. 2).
2. the root of this plant used roasted and ground as a substitute for or additive to coffee.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French chicoree, alter. of earlier cicoree (by influence of Italian cicoria) < Latin cichorēa < Greek kichória, kíchora]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chicory - the dried root of the chicory plant: used as a coffee substitute|
chicory plant, Cichorium intybus, succory, chicory - perennial Old World herb having rayed flower heads with blue florets cultivated for its root and its heads of crisp edible leaves used in salads
root - (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
|2.||chicory - perennial Old World herb having rayed flower heads with blue florets cultivated for its root and its heads of crisp edible leaves used in salads|
|3.||chicory - root of the chicory plant roasted and ground to substitute for or adulterate coffee|
coffee substitute - a drink resembling coffee that is sometimes substituted for it
|4.||chicory - crisp spiky leaves with somewhat bitter taste|
radicchio - prized variety of chicory having globose heads of red leaves
chicory[ˈtʃɪkərɪ] n → cicoria
a plant whose leaves are used in salads and whose root is ground and mixed with coffee. sigorei هندباء цикория chicória cikorka der Chicoree julesalat; cikorie ραδίκι sigur کاسنی sikuri chicoréeעולש कासनी, चिकरी cikorija cikória cikori kaffifífill cicoria チコリー 꽃상추 cikorija cigoriņi cikori cichoreisikoricykoria كاسنى، كاشنى chicória cicoare цикорий cigória cikorija; belgijski radič cikorija cikoria พืชชนิดหนึ่งใช้เป็นเครื่องปรุงสลัด hindiba 菊苣 цикорій سلاد کے لئے استعمال ہونے والا پودا cây diếp xoắn 菊苣