Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Chi·hua·hua 1(chə-wä′wä, chē-)
A city of northern Mexico south of Ciudad Juárez. The capital of the state of Chihuahua, it is a major commercial center for the northern region of the country.
Chi·hua·hua 2(chĭ-wä′wä, -wə)
A dog of a very small breed developed in Mexico, probably from an indigenous breed, having erect pointed ears and a soft usually short-haired coat.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a state of N Mexico: mostly high plateau; important mineral resources, with many silver mines. Capital: Chihuahua. Pop: 728 000 (2005 est). Area: 247 087 sq km (153 194 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a city in N Mexico, capital of Chihuahua state. Pop: 650 000 (2000 est)
3. (Breeds) a breed of tiny dog originally from Mexico, having short smooth hair, large erect ears, and protruding eyes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Chi•hua•hua(tʃɪˈwɑ wɑ, -wə)
1. a state in N Mexico. 2,793,537; 94,831 sq. mi. (245,610 sq. km).
2. the capital of this state. 516,153.
3. one of a Mexican breed of very small dogs with a rounded head, prominent eyes, and large erect ears.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
See also related terms for shock.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chihuahua - a city in northern Mexico in the state of Chihuahua; commercial center of northern Mexico|
Chihuahua - a state in northern Mexico; mostly high plateau
|2.||Chihuahua - a state in northern Mexico; mostly high plateau|
Chihuahua - a city in northern Mexico in the state of Chihuahua; commercial center of northern Mexico
|3.||Chihuahua - an old breed of tiny short-haired dog with protruding eyes from Mexico held to antedate Aztec civilization|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
chihuahua[tʃɪˈwɑːwɑː] N → chihuahua m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Chihuahuachihuahua [tʃɪˈwɑːwə tʃɪˈwɑːwɑː] n (= dog) → chihuahua m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Chihuahua m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
chihuahua[ˌtʃɪˈwɑːwɑː] n → chihuahua m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995