Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to China or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
n. pl. Chinese
a. A native or inhabitant of China.
b. A person of Chinese ancestry.
c. See Han1.
a. The sole member of the Sinitic branch of the Sino-Tibetan language family, consisting of numerous languages and dialects such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese, and Fujian.
b. Any of the Sinitic varieties of speech spoken by the Chinese people.
c. The official national language of China; Mandarin.
1. (Placename) of, relating to, or characteristic of China, its people, or their languages
2. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of China, its people, or their languages
3. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of China, its people, or their languages
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of China or a descendant of one
5. (Languages) any of the languages of China belonging to the Sino-Tibetan family, sometimes regarded as dialects of one language. They share a single writing system that is not phonetic but ideographic. A phonetic system using the Roman alphabet was officially adopted by the Chinese government in 1966. See also Mandarin Chinese, Pekingese, Cantonese
n., pl. -nese,
1. a native or inhabitant of China.
2. a Sino-Tibetan language or language family, comprising a wide variety of speech forms, many mutually unintelligible, that are traditionally labeled dialects, and are written with identical characters. Abbr.: Chin., Chin
3. a member of the people who speak Chinese, collectively representing the great majority of the inhabitants of China and Taiwan, and forming a significant population element in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and other countries of Southeast Asia.adj.
4. of or pertaining to China or its inhabitants.
5. of or pertaining to the language Chinese or its speakers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chinese - any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system|
Beijing dialect, Mandarin Chinese, Mandarin dialect, Mandarin - the dialect of Chinese spoken in Beijing and adopted as the official language for all of China
Cantonese, Cantonese dialect, Yue, Yue dialect - the dialect of Chinese spoken in Canton and neighboring provinces and in Hong Kong and elsewhere outside China
Amoy, Fukien, Fukkianese, Hokkianese, Min dialect, Taiwanese, Min - any of the forms of Chinese spoken in Fukien province
|2.||Chinese - a native or inhabitant of Communist China or of Nationalist China|
Cathay, China, Communist China, mainland China, People's Republic of China, PRC, Red China - a communist nation that covers a vast territory in eastern Asia; the most populous country in the world
Nationalist China, Republic of China, Taiwan, China - a government on the island of Taiwan established in 1949 by Chiang Kai-shek after the conquest of mainland China by the Communists led by Mao Zedong
Boxer - a member of a nationalistic Chinese secret society that led an unsuccessful rebellion in 1900 against foreign interests in China
Hakka - a member of a people of southeastern China (especially Hong Kong, Canton, and Taiwan) who migrated from the north in the 12th century
mandarin - a high public official of imperial China
|Adj.||1.||Chinese - of or pertaining to China or its peoples or cultures; "Chinese food"|
|2.||Chinese - of or relating to or characteristic of the island republic on Taiwan or its residents or their language; "the Taiwanese capital is Taipeh"|
người Trung Quốcthuộc nước/người/tiếng Trung Quốctiếng Trung Quốc
(= language, fig: = gibberish) → Chinesisch nt
n → Chinakohl m
n → Lampion m
n → Chinakohl m
n ein Gegenstand zum Zusammensetzen als Geduldsspiel
n → Zinnoberrot nt
pl → Sinologie f
n → Chinesischweiß nt
chinese→ اللغة الصينية, صِينيّ Číňan, čínský, čínština kineser, kinesisk Chinese, chinesisch Κινεζικά, κινεζικός, Κινέζος chino kiina, kiinalainen chinois kineski, Kinez cinese 中国の, 中国人, 中国語 중국 사람, 중국어, 중국의 Chinees kineser, kinesisk Chińczyk, chiński, język chiński chinês китаец, китайский, китайский язык kines, kinesisk, kinesiska ชาวจีน, ที่เกี่ยวกับชาติจีน, ภาษาจีน Çin, Çince, Çinli người Trung Quốc, thuộc nước/người/tiếng Trung Quốc, tiếng Trung Quốc 中国人, 中国的, 汉语