chiton(redirected from Chitons)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various marine mollusks of the class Polyplacophora that live on rocks and have shells consisting of eight overlapping calcareous plates. Also called sea cradle.
2. A tunic worn by men and women in ancient Greece.
[Greek khitōn, tunic, from Central Semitic *kittān, from Akkadian kitû, kita'um, flax, linen, from Sumerian gada, gida.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (in ancient Greece and Rome) a loose woollen tunic worn knee length by men and full length by women
2. (Animals) Also called: coat-of-mail shell any small primitive marine mollusc of the genus Chiton and related genera, having an elongated body covered with eight overlapping shell plates: class Amphineura
[C19: from Greek khitōn coat of mail, of Semitic origin; related to Hebrew kethōnet]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
chi•ton(ˈkaɪt n, ˈkaɪ tɒn)
1. any marine mollusk of the class Amphineura, having a dorsal shell of eight overlapping plates.
2. a gown or tunic, with or without sleeves, worn by both sexes in ancient Greece.
[1810–20; < Greek chitṓn < Semitic (compare Hebrew kuttōneth tunic)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chiton - a woolen tunic worn by men and women in ancient Greece|
tunic - any of a variety of loose fitting cloaks extending to the hips or knees
|2.||chiton - primitive elongated bilaterally symmetrical marine mollusk having a mantle covered with eight calcareous plates|
mollusc, mollusk, shellfish - invertebrate having a soft unsegmented body usually enclosed in a shell
genus Chiton - a genus of Polyplacophora
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.