chokeberry(redirected from Chokeberries)
1. Any of various deciduous shrubs of the genus Aronia in the rose family, native to eastern North America and having clusters of white or pinkish flowers and small red or black applelike fruit. Chokeberries are sometimes classified in the genus Photinia.
2. The fruit of any of these plants.
[From its bitter fruit.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) any of various North American rosaceous shrubs of the genus Aronia
2. (Plants) the red or purple bitter fruit of any of these shrubs
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
choke•ber•ry(ˈtʃoʊkˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. any of several North American shrubs belonging to the genus Aronia, of the rose family.
2. their red, purple, or black berry.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.