evangelism(redirected from Christian evangelism)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Christian evangelism: evangelist
1. Zealous preaching and dissemination of the gospel, as through missionary work.
2. Fervent advocacy of a cause.
e·van′gel·is′tic (-jə-lĭs′tĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Protestantism) (in Protestant churches) the practice of spreading the Christian gospel. RC Church term: evangelization or evangelisation
2. ardent or missionary zeal for a cause
3. (Protestantism) the work, methods, or characteristic outlook of a revivalist or evangelist preacher
4. (Protestantism) a less common word for evangelicalism. See evangelicalism
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•van•ge•lism(ɪˈvæn dʒəˌlɪz əm)
1. the preaching or promulgation of the Christian gospel; the work of an evangelist.
2. missionary zeal, purpose, or activity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the missionary, reforming, or redeeming spirit evident throughout the history of Christianity in various guises or emphases. — evangelical, evangelistic, adj.See also: Christianity
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||evangelism - zealous preaching and advocacy of the gospel|
preaching, sermon, discourse - an address of a religious nature (usually delivered during a church service)
televangelism - evangelism at a distance by the use of television
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun preaching, spreading the word, spreading the gospel, telling the gospel message Evangelism can be seen as potentially threatening for other faith communities.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
evangelism[ɪˈvændʒəˌlɪzəm] N → evangelismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
evangelism[ɪˈvændʒəlɪzəm] n → évangélisation f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
evangelism[ɪˈvændʒəˌlɪzm] n → evangelizzazione f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995