Christmas Island(redirected from Christmas Island (Indian Ocean))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. An Australian-administered island in the eastern Indian Ocean south of Java. It was annexed by Great Britain in 1888 and came under Australian sovereignty in 1958.
2. See Kiritimati.
1. (Placename) the former name (until 1981) of Kiritimati
2. (Placename) an island in the Indian Ocean, south of Java: administered by Singapore (1900–58), now by Australia; phosphate mining. Pop: 1496 (2013 est). Area: 135 sq km (52 sq miles)
1. an Australian island in the Indian Ocean, ab. 190 mi. (300 km) S of Java. 3300; 52 sq. mi. (135 sq. km).
2. former name of Kiritimati.