chub(redirected from Chub (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. chub or chubs
1. Any of various usually stout-bodied freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae, especially a Eurasian species, Leuciscus cephalus.
2. Any of various other fishes, such as several freshwater whitefishes of the genus Coregonus or various marine fishes of the family Kyphosidae.
[Middle English chubbe.]
A hermetically sealed plastic tube used for packaging products such as ground meat or caulk.
[Perhaps back-formation from chubby.]
n, pl chub or chubs
1. (Animals) a common European freshwater cyprinid game fish, Leuciscus (or Squalius) cephalus, having a cylindrical dark greenish body
2. (Animals) any of various North American fishes, esp certain whitefishes and minnows
[C15: of unknown origin]
n., pl. (esp. collectively) chub, (esp. for kinds or species) chubs.
1. a European freshwater cyprinid fish, Leuciscus cephalus, having a thick body.
2. any of various related fishes.
3. any of several unrelated American fishes, esp. the tautog and whitefishes of the genus Coregonus, of the Great Lakes.
[1400–50; late Middle English chubbe]