Chukchi(redirected from Chukchees)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Chuk·chialso Chuk·chee (cho͝ok′chē)
n. pl. Chukchi or Chuk·chis also Chukchee or Chuk·chees
1. A member of a people of northeast Siberia.
2. The language of the Chukchi, noted for being pronounced differently by men and women.
[Russian, pl. of chukcha, from Chukchi chawchəw.]
npl -chi, -chis, -chee or -chees
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of the Chukchi Peninsula
2. (Languages) the language of this people, related only to some of the smaller aboriginal languages of Siberia
or Chuk•chee(ˈtʃʊk tʃi)
n., pl. -chis or -chees, (esp. collectively) -chi or -chee.
1. a member of a Paleosiberian people inhabiting the Chukchi Peninsula and adjacent areas of extreme NE Siberia.
2. the language of the Chukchis.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chukchi - a member of an indigenous people living on the Chukchi Peninsula|
Siberian - a native or inhabitant of Siberia
|2.||Chukchi - an indigenous and isolated language of unknown origin spoken by the Chukchi that is pronounced differently by men and women|