Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Chuvash: Chuvash polycythemia
n. pl. Chuvash or Chu·vash·es
1. A member of a people located in the middle Volga River valley, chiefly in Chuvashia.
2. The Turkic language spoken by the Chuvash.
[Russian, from Chuvash čǎvaš.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -vash or -vashes
1. (Peoples) a Turkic ethnic people living chiefly in the middle Volga region of Russia
2. (Languages) the language of this people, generally classed within the Turkic branch of the Altaic family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. Chu•vash•es, Chu•va•shi (tʃuˈvɑ ʃi)
(esp. collectively) Chu•vash for 1.
1. a member of a people of the middle Volga River basin in the Russian Federation, living mainly in the Chuvash Autonomous Republic.
2. the language of the Chuvash, affiliated with Turkic.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chuvash - a member of a people of Turkic speech living in the Volga region in eastern Russia|
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
|2.||Chuvash - the Turkic language spoken by the Chuvash|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.