Kingston upon Hull(redirected from City of Kingston upon Hull)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Kingston upon Hull
1. (Placename) the official name of Hull1
2. (Placename) a unitary authority in NE England, in the East Riding of Yorkshire: formerly (1974–96) part of the county of Humberside. Pop: 247 900 (2003 est). Area: 71 sq km (27 sq miles)
1. the husk, shell, or outer covering of a seed or fruit.
2. the calyx of certain fruits, as the strawberry.
3. any covering or envelope.v.t.
4. to remove the hull of; skin, peel, shell, or shuck.
[before 1000; Middle English; Old English hulu husk, pod; akin to Old English helan to cover, hide, Latin cēlāre to hide, conceal, Greek kalýptein to cover up]
1. the hollow lowermost portion of a ship, floating partially submerged and supporting the remainder of the ship.
a. the boatlike fuselage of a flying boat on which the plane lands or takes off.
b. the cigar-shaped arrangement of girders enclosing the gasbag of a rigid dirigible.
3. to pierce (the hull of a ship), esp. below the water line.v.i.
4. to drift without power or sails.
[1350–1400; Middle English; appar. same word as hull1]
1. Cordell, 1871–1955, U.S. Secretary of State 1933–44: Nobel peace prize 1945.
2. Official name, Kingston upon Hull. a seaport in Humberside, in E England, on the Humber River. 279,700.
3. a city in SE Canada, on the Ottawa River opposite Ottawa. 58,722.