claymore(redirected from Claymoure)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to Claymoure: claymore mine
1. A claymore mine.
2. A large, double-edged broadsword formerly used by Scottish Highlanders.
claymore(ˈkleɪˌmɔː; Scottish ˌkleˈmor)
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a large two-edged broadsword used formerly by Scottish Highlanders
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a US type of antipersonnel mine
[C18: from Gaelic claidheamh mōr great sword]
1. a two-handed sword with a double-edged blade, used by Scottish Highlanders in the 16th century.
2. a Scottish broadsword with a basket hilt.
[1765–75; < Scottish Gaelic claidheamh mòr great sword]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||claymore - a large double-edged broadsword; formerly used by Scottish Highlanders|
broadsword - a sword with a broad blade and (usually) two cutting edges; used to cut rather than stab
|2.||claymore - an antipersonnel land mine whose blast is aimed at the oncoming enemy|
n → zweischneidiges Langschwert