cloche(redirected from Cloche hat)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A close-fitting hat with a bell-like shape.
2. A usually bell-shaped cover used to protect plants from frost.
3. A bell-shaped cover used when serving food.
[French, from Old French, bell, from Medieval Latin clocca; see clock1.]
1. (Horticulture) a bell-shaped cover used to protect young plants
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's almost brimless close-fitting hat, typical of the 1920s and 1930s
[C19: from French: bell, from Medieval Latin clocca]
a woman's close-fitting hat with a deep, bell-shaped crown and often a narrow, turned-down brim.
[1905–10; < French: bell, bell-jar, Old French < early Medieval Latin clocca. See cloak]
1. A women’s hat shaped like a bell.
2. A portable protective structure usually made from polythene, plastic or glass. They can usually be placed in a line to warm prepared soil before sowing or to protect a row of early sowings from frost.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cloche - a low transparent cover put over young plants to protect them from cold|
|2.||cloche - a woman's close-fitting hat that resembles a helmet|