pollock(redirected from Coal-fish)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
pol·lockor pol·lack (pŏl′ək)
n. pl. pollock or pol·locks also pollack or pol·lacks
Any of various marine food fishes of the genera Pollachius and Theragra, closely related to the cod, especially T. chalcogramma of northern Pacific waters, often used for manufactured fish products.
[Middle English poullok, the Atlantic pollock (Pollachius pollachius), of unknown origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Sir Frederick. 1845–1937, English legal scholar: with Maitland, he wrote History of English Law before the Time of Edward I (1895)
2. (Biography) Jackson. 1912–56, US abstract expressionist painter; chief exponent of action painting in the US
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -locks, (esp. collectively) -lock.
1. a greenish North Atlantic food fish, Pollachius virens, of the cod family, with a white lateral stripe and a jutting lower jaw.
2. Also, pollack. a related, brownish food fish, P. pollachius.
[1495–1505; assimilated variant of podlok (Scots); akin to Scots paddle lumpfish; see -ock]
1. Sir Frederick, 1845–1937, English legal scholar and author.
2. Jackson, 1912–56, U.S. painter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pollock - United States artist famous for painting with a drip technique; a leader of abstract expressionism in America (1912-1956)|
|2.||pollock - lean white flesh of North Atlantic fish; similar to codfish|
Pollachius pollachius, pollack, pollock - important food and game fish of northern seas (especially the northern Atlantic); related to cod
saltwater fish - flesh of fish from the sea used as food
|3.||pollock - important food and game fish of northern seas (especially the northern Atlantic); related to cod|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.