coca(redirected from Coca herbal tea)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of certain Andean evergreen shrubs or small trees of the genus Erythroxylum, especially E. coca, whose leaves contain cocaine and other alkaloids.
2. The dried leaves of such a plant, chewed by people of the Andes for a stimulating effect and also used for extraction of cocaine and other alkaloids.
[Spanish, from Quechua kúka.]
1. (Plants) either of two shrubs, Erythroxylon coca or E. truxiuense, native to the Andes: family Erythroxylaceae
2. (Recreational Drugs) the dried leaves of these shrubs and related plants, which contain cocaine and are chewed by the peoples of the Andes for their stimulating effects
[C17: from Spanish, from Quechuan kúka]
n., pl. -cas.
1. a shrub, Erythroxylumcoca, of the family Erythroxylaceae, native to the Andes, having simple alternate leaves and small yellowish flowers.
2. the dried leaves of this shrub, which are chewed for their stimulant properties and which yield cocaine and other alkaloids.
[1610–20; < Sp < Quechua kuka]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||coca - a South American shrub whose leaves are chewed by natives of the Andes; a source of cocaine|
Erythroxylon, Erythroxylum, genus Erythroxylon, genus Erythroxylum - a large genus of South American shrubs and small trees of the family Erythroxylaceae
|2.||Coca - United States comedienne who starred in early television shows with Sid Caesar (1908-2001)|
|3.||coca - dried leaves of the coca plant (and related plants that also contain cocaine); chewed by Andean people for their stimulating effect|
cocain, cocaine - a narcotic (alkaloid) extracted from coca leaves; used as a surface anesthetic or taken for pleasure; can become powerfully addictive
plant product - a product made from plant material