Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to cohesive: cohesive bandage
1. The act, process, or condition of cohering: exhibited strong cohesion in the family unit.
2. Physics The intermolecular attraction by which the elements of a body are held together.
3. Botany The congenital union of parts of the same kind, such as a calyx of five united sepals.
[From Latin cohaesus, past participle of cohaerēre, to cling together; see cohere.]
co·he′sive (-sĭv, -zĭv) adj.
1. characterized by or causing cohesion
2. tending to cohere or stick together
1. characterized by or causing cohesion.
2. tending to unify, harmonize, or be consistent.
3. of or pertaining to the molecular force within a body or substance acting to unite its parts.