colloid(redirected from Colloidal system)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Colloidal system: colloidal solution
a. A system in which finely divided particles, which are approximately 1 to 1,000 millimicrons in size, are dispersed within a continuous medium in a manner that prevents them from being filtered easily or settled rapidly.
b. The particulate matter so dispersed.
2. The gelatinous stored secretion of the thyroid gland, consisting mainly of thyroglobulin.
3. Gelatinous material resulting from degeneration in diseased tissue.
Of, relating to, containing, or having the nature of a colloid.
col·loi′dal (kə-loid′l, kŏ-) adj.
1. (Chemistry) Also called: colloidal solution or colloidal suspension a mixture having particles of one component, with diameters between 10–7 and 10–9 metres, suspended in a continuous phase of another component. The mixture has properties between those of a solution and a fine suspension
2. (Chemistry) the solid suspended phase in such a mixture
3. (Chemistry) obsolete a substance that in solution does not penetrate a semipermeable membrane. Compare crystalloid2
4. (Physiology) physiol a gelatinous substance of the thyroid follicles that holds the hormonal secretions of the thyroid gland
5. (Pathology) pathol of or relating to the gluelike translucent material found in certain degenerating tissues
6. (Chemistry) of, denoting, or having the character of a colloid
[C19: from Greek kolla glue + -oid]
1. a substance made up of small particles (too small to be seen under an optical microscope, yet too big to pass through a semipermeable membrane) that are suspended in and dispersed throughout a solid, liquid, or gaseous medium.
2. a colloidal substance in the body, as a stored secretion.adj.
[1840–50; < Greek kóll(a) glue + -oid]
A substance made of very small particles whose size (1-100 nm) is between those of a suspension and those in solution.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||colloid - a mixture with properties between those of a solution and fine suspension|
silver protein - a colloid preparation of protein (albumin or gelatin) and silver oxide; used in aqueous solution as an antibacterial agent
mixture - (chemistry) a substance consisting of two or more substances mixed together (not in fixed proportions and not with chemical bonding)
dispersing medium, dispersing phase, dispersion medium - (of colloids) a substance in which another is colloidally dispersed
colloidal solution, colloidal suspension, sol - a colloid that has a continuous liquid phase in which a solid is suspended in a liquid
emulsion - (chemistry) a colloid in which both phases are liquids; "an oil-in-water emulsion"
silica gel - a porous form of silica that is highly absorbent