Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River south-southwest of Atlanta. Settled in 1828 on the site of a Creek village, it is a port of entry and major industrial center.
2. A city of south-central Indiana south-southeast of Indianapolis. Founded in 1820, it is known for its modern architecture.
3. The capital of Ohio, in the central part of the state on the Scioto River. Laid out as the capital in 1812, it is a major commercial center and the seat of The Ohio State University (established 1873).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a city in central Ohio: the state capital. Pop: 728 432 (2003 est)
2. (Placename) a city in W Georgia, on the Chattahoochee River. Pop: 185 702 (2003 est)
(Biography) Christopher. Spanish name Cristóbal Colón, Italian name Cristoforo Colombo. 1451–1506, Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Spain, who discovered the New World (1492)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Christopher (Sp. Cristóbal Colón; It. Cristoforo Colombo), 1446?–1506, Italian navigator in Spanish service: traditionally considered the discoverer of America 1492.
2. the capital of Ohio, in the central part. 657,053.
3. a city in W Georgia. 182,828.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Columbus - the state capital of Ohio; located in the center of the state; site of Ohio State University|
Ohio State University - a university in Columbus, Ohio
|2.||Columbus - Italian navigator who discovered the New World in the service of Spain while looking for a route to China (1451-1506)|
|3.||Columbus - a town in eastern Mississippi near the border with Alabama|
|4.||Columbus - a city in western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River; industrial center|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Kolumbus m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995