Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A commissioned rank formerly used in the US Navy that was above captain and below rear admiral. Abolished in 1899, it was restored temporarily during World War II and in the early 1980s.
b. One who holds this rank.
c. Used as an honorary title for a captain in the US Navy in command of a fleet division or squadron.
a. The senior captain of a naval squadron or merchant fleet.
b. The presiding officer of a yacht club.
[Obsolete commandore, probably from Dutch komandeur, commander, from French commandeur, from Old French, from comander, to command; see command.]
1. (Military) Brit a naval rank junior to rear admiral and senior to captain
2. (Nautical Terms) the senior captain of a shipping line
3. (Nautical Terms) the officer in command of a convoy of merchant ships
4. (Nautical Terms) the senior flag office of a yacht or boat club
[C17: probably from Dutch commandeur, from French, from Old French commander to command]
com•mo•dore(ˈkɒm əˌdɔr, -ˌdoʊr)
1. (formerly) a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard ranking above a captain: replaced by rear admiral, lower half.
2. an officer in the British navy in temporary command of a squadron.
3. the senior captain when two or more ships of war are cruising in company.
4. (in the U.S. Navy and Merchant Marine) the officer in command of a convoy.
5. the senior captain of a line of merchant vessels.
6. the head of a yacht or boat club.
[1685–95; earlier commandore, perhaps < Dutch komandeur < French commandeur commander]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||commodore - a commissioned naval officer who ranks above a captain and below a rear admiral; the lowest grade of admiral|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
commissioned naval officer - a commissioned officer in the navy
قائِد، عَميد بَحْري
commodore[ˈkɒmədɔːʳ] N → comodoro m
commodore[ˈkɒmədɔːʳ] n → commodoro
in the British navy, (of) the rank next above captain. kommodoor قائِد، عَميد بَحْري старши капитан comodoro komodor der Flottenadmiral kommandør αρχιπλοίαρχος comodoro kommodoor دریادار؛ ناخدای ارشد kommodori commodore קוֹמוֹדוֹר कप्तान, कमाडोर kapetan bojnog broda sorhajókapitány komodor sjóliðsforingi commodoro 准将 제독 komodoras komodors laksamana pertama commandeurkommandør dowódca związku taktycznego okrętów بحرى منصبدار چه له كپتان څخه يوه رتبه هسك دى comodoro comandor коммодор komodor komodor komandant eskadrile kommendör พลเรือจัตวา albay 海軍準將 комодор; старший офіцер ескадри بحریہ کا ایک عہدہ đại tá hải quân 海军准将