compactness(redirected from Compact (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
com·pact 1(kəm-păkt′, kŏm-, kŏm′păkt′)
1. Closely and firmly united or packed together; dense: compact clusters of flowers.
2. Occupying little space compared with others of its type: a compact camera; a compact car.
3. Brief and to the point; concise: a compact narration.
4. Marked by or having a short solid physique: a wrestler of compact build.
v. (kəm-păkt′) com·pact·ed, com·pact·ing, com·pacts
1. To press or join firmly together: a kitchen device that compacted the trash.
a. To make by pressing or joining together; compose.
b. To consolidate; combine.
To be capable of being pressed tightly together or to become so pressed: garbage that compacts easily.
1. A small case containing a mirror, pressed powder, and a powder puff.
2. An automobile that is bigger in size than a subcompact but smaller than a midsize car.
[Middle English, from Latin compāctus, past participle of compingere, to put together : com-, com- + pangere, to fasten; see pag- in Indo-European roots.]
An agreement or a covenant. See Synonyms at agreement.
[Latin compactum, neuter past participle of compacīscī, to make an agreement : com-, com- + pacīscī, to agree; see pact.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||compactness - the spatial property of being crowded together|
|2.||compactness - the consistency of a compact solid|