Compton(redirected from Compton, Denis (Charles Scott))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A city of southern California, a suburb between Los Angeles and Long Beach.
1. (Biography) Arthur Holly. 1892–1962, US physicist, noted for his research on X-rays, gamma rays, and nuclear energy: Nobel prize for physics 1927
2. (Biography) Denis. 1918–97, English cricketer, who played for Middlesex and England (1937–57); broke two records in 1947 scoring 3816 runs and 18 centuries in one season
1. Arthur Holly, 1892–1962, U.S. physicist: Nobel prize 1927.
2. his brother, Karl Taylor, 1887–1954, U.S. physicist.
3. a city in SW California. 81,286.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Compton - United States physicist noted for research on x-rays and gamma rays and nuclear energy; his observation that X-rays behave like miniature bowling balls in their interactions with electrons provided evidence for the quantal nature of light (1892-1962)|