conga(redirected from Conguero)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A dance of Latin-American origin in which the dancers form a long winding line.
2. The music for this dance.
3. A conga drum.
intr.v. con·gaed, con·ga·ing, con·gas
To perform this dance.
[American Spanish (danza) Conga, Congo (dance), from Spanish Congo, of the Congo, from Kongo -kongo, Kongo language and people.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Dancing) a Latin American dance of three steps and a kick to each bar, usually performed by a number of people in single file
2. (Instruments) Also called: conga drum a large tubular bass drum, used chiefly in Latin American and funk music and played with the hands
vb, -gas, -gaing or -gaed
(Dancing) (intr) to dance the conga
[C20: from American Spanish, feminine of congo belonging to the Congo]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -gas, n.
1. a Cuban ballroom dance that consists of three steps forward followed by a kick, characteristically performed by a group following a leader in a single line.
2. a tall, conical Afro-Cuban drum played with the hands.v.i.
3. to dance a conga.
[1930–35; < Cuban Sp]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: congaed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||conga - music composed for dancing the conga|
dance music - music to dance to
|2.||conga - a Latin American dance of 3 steps and a kick by people in single file|
|Verb||1.||conga - dance the conga|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
conga[ˈkɒŋgə] n (= dance) → conga f
to dance the conga, to do the conga → danser la congacon game n → arnaque f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Conga f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007