concession(redirected from Conseding)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of conceding.
a. Something, such as a point previously claimed in argument, that is later conceded.
b. An acknowledgment or admission.
3. A grant of a tract of land made by a government or other controlling authority in return for stipulated services or a promise that the land will be used for a specific purpose.
a. The privilege of maintaining a subsidiary business within certain premises.
b. The space allotted for such a business.
c. The business itself: There was an ice cream concession in the subway station.
d. A snack, drink, or other food sold at a concession: bought concessions at halftime.
[Middle English, from Latin concessiō, concessiōn-, from concessus, past participle of concēdere, to concede; see concede.]
con·ces′sion·ar′y (-sĕsh′ə-nĕr′ē) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the act of yielding or conceding, as to a demand or argument
2. something conceded
3. (Commerce) Brit a reduction in the usual price of a ticket granted to a special group of customers: a student concession.
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any grant of rights, land, or property by a government, local authority, corporation, or individual
5. (Marketing) the right, esp an exclusive right, to market a particular product in a given area
a. the right to maintain a subsidiary business on a lessor's premises
b. the premises so granted or the business so maintained
c. a free rental period for such premises
7. (Surveying) (chiefly in Ontario and Quebec)
a. a land subdivision in a township survey
b. another word for concession road
[C16: from Latin concēssiō an allowing, from concēdere to concede]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the act of conceding or yielding, as a right.
2. the thing or point yielded.
3. something conceded by a government or a controlling authority, as a grant of land.
4. a space or privilege within certain premises for a subsidiary business or service: the refreshment concession at a theater.
5. Canadian. a division of surveyed land in a township, further divided into lots.
con•ces′sion•ar`y, con•ces′sion•al, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||concession - a contract granting the right to operate a subsidiary business; "he got the beer concession at the ball park"|
contract - a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
franchise - an authorization to sell a company's goods or services in a particular place
|2.||concession - the act of conceding or yielding|
assent, acquiescence - agreement with a statement or proposal to do something; "he gave his assent eagerly"; "a murmur of acquiescence from the assembly"
|3.||concession - a point conceded or yielded; "they won all the concessions they asked for"|
agreement - the verbal act of agreeing
sop - a concession given to mollify or placate; "the offer was a sop to my feelings"
judicial admission, stipulation - (law) an agreement or concession made by parties in a judicial proceeding (or by their attorneys) relating to the business before the court; must be in writing unless they are part of the court record; "a stipulation of fact was made in order to avoid delay"
takeaway - a concession made by a labor union to a company that is trying to lower its expenditures
wage concession - an agreement to raise wages
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. compromise, agreement, settlement, accommodation, adjustment, trade-off, give-and-take, half measures Britain has made sweeping concessions to China in order to reach a settlement.
2. privilege, right, permit, licence, franchise, entitlement, indulgence, prerogative The government has granted concessions to three private telephone companies.
3. reduction, saving, grant, discount, allowance tax concessions for mothers who choose to stay at home with their children
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
An accommodation made in the light of special or extenuating circumstances:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
sự nhượng bộ
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
concession[kənˈsɛʃ/ən] n → concessione f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
something granted. As a concession we were given a day off work to go to the wedding. toegewing, tegemoetkoming; bewilliging; vergunning; konsessie إمْتِياز، تَنازُل отстъпка concessão ústupek das Zugeständnis indrømmelse; bevilling παραχώρησηconcesión mööndus امتیاز myönnytys concessionזיכיון रियायत, आज्ञा प्रदान povlastica, dozvola, koncesija engedmény konsesi eftirgjöf, tilhliðrun concessione 譲歩 양보 nuolaida piekāpšanās; atļauja konsesi concessieinnrømmelse, bevilling, konsesjonustępstwo امتياز، تيريدنه، ور پريښوونه، مننه: دحكومت له خوا دوركړې شوې مځكىيا كوم امتياز څخه ګټه اخيستنه: (امر) ديوه ټاكلى مقصد دپاره دغير منقول جايداد يوه برخه وقف كول concessão concesie уступка ústupok dovoljenje; priznanje koncesija medgivande, beviljande การยอมให้ ödün 讓步 поступка رعایت sự nhượng bộ 让步
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
concession→ اِمْتِيَاز ústupek indrømmelse Konzession παραχώρηση concesión lupa concession ustupak concessione 譲歩 특허 concessie konsesjon ustępstwo concessão уступка rabatt การยินยอม ayrıcalık sự nhượng bộ 让步
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009