couscous(redirected from Coos-coos)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A pasta of North African origin made of semolina or other grains, formed into small pellets and usually steamed.
2. A North African dish consisting of this pasta served with stewed vegetables or meat.
1. (Cookery) a type of semolina originating from North Africa, consisting of granules of crushed durum wheat
2. (Cookery) a spicy North African dish consisting of steamed semolina with meat, vegetables, or fruit C17: via French from Arabic kouskous, from kaskasa to pound until fine
1. a North African dish of steamed semolina served usu. with a spicy stew.
2. the granular semolina used in this dish.
[1590–1600; < French < Arabic kuskus,kuskusū < Berber seksu]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||couscous - a spicy dish that originated in northern Africa; consists of pasta steamed with a meat and vegetable stew|
dish - a particular item of prepared food; "she prepared a special dish for dinner"
|2.||couscous - a pasta made in northern Africa of crushed and steamed semolina|