Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Corinthian: Corinthian capital
1. Of or relating to ancient Corinth or its people or culture.
2. Architecture Of or relating to the Corinthian order.
3. Elegantly or elaborately ornate.
4. Given to licentious and profligate luxury.
1. A native or inhabitant of Corinth.
2. A luxury-loving person; a bon vivant.
3. A wealthy amateur sportsman, especially an amateur yachtsman.
4. Corinthians(used with a sing. verb) See Table at Bible.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of, characteristic of, or relating to Corinth
2. (Architecture) of, denoting, or relating to one of the five classical orders of architecture: characterized by a bell-shaped capital having carved ornaments based on acanthus leaves. See also Ionic, Doric, composite4, Tuscan
3. given to luxury; dissolute
4. (Art Terms) ornate and elaborate
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Corinth
6. (General Sporting Terms) an amateur sportsman
7. rare a man about town, esp one who is dissolute
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Co•rin•thi•an(kəˈrɪn θi ən)
1. of or pertaining to Corinth or its residents.
2. of or designating one of the five classical orders of architecture, similar to the Ionic but usu. of slenderer proportions and characterized by a deep capital with a round bell decorated with acanthus leaves.
3. ornate, as literary style.
4. luxurious or licentious.n.
5. a native or resident of Corinth.
6. a man who lives luxuriously.
[1350–1400; Middle English Corinthi(es) men of Corinth (< Latin Corinthiī < Greek Korínthioi) + -an1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Corinthian - a man devoted to the pursuit of pleasure|
|2.||Corinthian - a resident of Corinth|
Corinth, Korinthos - the modern Greek port near the site of the ancient city that was second only to Athens
|Adj.||1.||corinthian - or pertaining to the Corinthian style of architecture|
|2.||corinthian - of or relating to or characteristic of Corinth or its inhabitants|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Corinthian[kəˈrɪnθɪən] ADJ → corintio
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
2. n → corinzio/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995