correlative(redirected from Correlatives)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Related; corresponding.
2. Grammar Indicating a reciprocal or complementary relationship: a correlative conjunction.
1. Either of two correlative entities; a correlate.
2. Grammar A correlative word or expression.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. in mutual, complementary, or reciprocal relationship; corresponding
2. (Grammar) denoting words, usually conjunctions, occurring together though not adjacently in certain grammatical constructions, as for example neither and nor in such sentences as he neither ate nor drank
3. either of two things that are correlative
4. (Grammar) a correlative word
corˈrelativeness, corˌrelaˈtivity n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
cor•rel•a•tive(kəˈrɛl ə tɪv)
1. so related that each implies or complements the other.
2. being in correlation; mutually related.
3. Gram. answering to or complementing one another and regularly used in association, as either and or, or no sooner and than.n.
4. either of two things, as two terms, that are correlative.
5. a correlative expression.
[1520–30; < Medieval Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||correlative - either of two or more related or complementary variables|
|Adj.||1.||correlative - mutually related|
|2.||correlative - expressing a reciprocal or complementary relation; "correlative conjunctions"|
grammar - the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology (and sometimes also deals with semantics)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007